Hi there! My name is Joe Lawry and I’ve been a proud geek since 1986. I’m also a freelance writer and amateur video game developer living in the Midwest. This is my first blog, and I’ll be using it as the main platform for all of my content creation going forward.
I’ve been playing video games since the age of four, when my parents bought a Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) at a local garage sale in 1990. That little gray box was my personal window into the realm of video games and it changed my life in more ways than one.
My first game on the NES was Super Mario Brothers but eventually my collection would include Mega Man 2, Batman, Ninja Gaiden and Duck Tales. I’ve owned or played every Nintendo console that’s ever been released since then, and I’m proud to say that I’m still a retro gamer at heart.
Over the next year, I’m going to be chronicling the journey to my first published video game. Although video games will always be my first and foremost passion, however, I also love science fiction and anime. I’ll be writing about those subjects at length too, and whenever I can keep things relevant I’ll discuss other topics as well.
I have another blog about my personal experience with PTSD which I may reference on occasion, but those posts will be few and far between. The focus on this site is on my love for all things pop culture (but mostly video games).
The posts that I write may include reviews, introspective pieces or journal entries about my work as an amateur video game developer.
Questions regarding any content posted on this site can be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org. Unless otherwise stated, all graphics are attribute-free and downloaded from Pixabay.
- “Star Wars or Star Trek?” Both.
- “Favorite Doctor?” Third (the man karate-chopped aliens, for God’s sake).
- “Hogwarts House?” Gryffindor (but I’ll also settle for Ravenclaw).
- “PlayStation or Xbox?” PlayStation.
- “Favorite Nintendo Console?” Super Nintendo (the GameCube and Switch are runners-up).
- “Cartridges or ROMs?” ROMs (please don’t sue me).
- “SyFy Channel or Sci-Fi Channel?” Always Sci-Fi.
- “Best Final Fantasy?” I’ll get back to you on that one…
I’m not really an alien…I just feel like one.